Sunday, October 05, 2008

Fall is here!

Ya... I took a vacation again from blogging...
There are many times I want to write down my thoughts and share some news, but I wonder if it worthy of publishing for the public to read.
Now that fall is here I will try to change my ways with the season.

Speaking of the season, Darlene (of the Snap of the Dragon) and I "dressed" Main Street in Dexter again with Chrysanthemums. The new owners at Spring Street Greenhouse (Tim) gave us a good deal on buying the chrysanthemums.
FYI: Darlene and I grow the summer flowers, but we do use some tax dollars to buy the fall flowers.
We were really pleased with the new Main Street barrels we purchased for the 2008 season. They are a lot bigger than the previous year, which was good because they looked full and held the moisture a little better, but took more flowers to fill them.

I hope everyone enjoyed them. Dexter's Main Street looks so festive. Thanks to the businesses who also decorated. Country Charm's window boxes look great! And thanks to the Prudential guys who watered their own flower barrel this summer!
I want to thank Jean Jacobs and the volunteers who helped water this summer, although we ran out of volunteers towards the end of the summer.

If YOU would like to help out watering, give me a call. We can use all the help we can get. NOPE, we don't get paid, but the satisfaction of driving downtown in the evening and seeing how pretty it looks is reward enough!

While I am talking about flowers, some jerk stole 2 of the chrysanthemums out of the barrel in front of Vicki's Hair Salon... What kind of ass would steal flowers from Main Street? I hope they enjoy them, but I also hope that every time they look at them, they remember that they are STOLEN FLOWERS. I did buy some more flowers to put in the barrel, but still......

Stealing....
As you many know, there have a bunch of burglaries in our area lately.
I have posed the question to some town officials about starting a "community watch", sorta like the cities do neighborhood watch.
May I suggest that we all talk with our neighbors and get acquainted with them (if you aren't already).

-- Let your neighbors know if you are going away and what vehicles may be in your yard, if any.
-- Call the police if you see anything suspicious. Better to safe than sorry!
-- Do checks on the elderly

Locked doors don't seem to matter anymore if you are away, but if you have some ideas on keeping our homes safer, let me know to pass along to others.

Dexter Police Chief Art Roy recommended the public keep its collective eyes open.

“If you see anything suspicious, call the police right away. Don’t wait until later.” The non-emergency telephone number for the Dexter Police Department is 924-7622.

No comments: