Thursday, October 30, 2008

Elections: Frustrated with Negativity

Thank God the elections are almost here and the endless negative commercials will be over! I wonder (aloud) if the negativity of the commercials parallel the situation of our county.

Every time I see one candidate bash the other, I often turn the TV/radio off or mute it, and say to Courtney or anyone who will listen, "if they spent as much time explaining what they stand for and how they are going to represent us and less time bashing their opponent, I would more likely vote for them'....

These days more & more Commercials, television show, reality TV and movies portray (the main) characters as being mean, double crossing and game playing. Okay, I am watching too much Dancing with the Stars and Hallmark movies, but isn't being nice a good way to heal our country?

Where are the nice, honest, straight shooting people/candidates?
Are they becoming lost in the muddle of negativity?

When my kids were little and I had foster kids, I had only one easy rule in my house, "Consideration".
Consideration for others covers just about everything under the sun. Think about it. If politicians were more considerate of their constituents with whom were voted in and that they represent, wouldn't our town, state and country run more smoothly.

If "consideration" were to be exercised, then the politicians would not be making sweet deals with their cronies and bad bills would not be passed in the middle of the night or hidden in a foot tall bill that has nothing to do with nothin'?

I personally think that we have outlived having 2 major parties...
Of course, I don't know everything by any stretch... But I do think if everyone wasn't split by party, maybe "groups" of like minded people could work together without the pressure of what is best politically for their party, maybe some of the dilemmas our country faces could be solved more easily.

Think about our local elections... There is NO PARTY LISTED on the local ballot! So people are elected on their merit, NOT on their party. Interesting concept?

Whether or not you agree with me or not, be an American and VOTE...
But with that said, know what you are voting for! Don't just vote "party lines" unless YOU believe in what you are voting for.

Enough ranting today.... saw another negative ad and had to blog it, 'cause Courtney and the dogs are sick of me saying it outloud.

1 comment:

David Giles said...

Well spoken Judy, well spoken. I am with you on the need for a third and fourth major party. I am a registered Republican but have long ago lost faith in the party system. I can't even remember the last time I voted a straight party.