Sunday, December 23, 2007

#3 Christmas Memory

Tourtiere Pie: A tradition of French Catholic's is serving Tourtiere Pie on Christmas Eve, or that what I was told.
Although, my family was Baptist, the Wilbur family embraced the practice of Tourtiere Pie as well.
I don't remember that my mother made them, we ordered them at Log Cabin Grocery, who baked LOTS of the delicious pies at Christmas time.
My mom would also make homemade eggnog to serve to guests that dropped by during the Christmas season and laced it with "spirits" that was left in the house over the past year.
She would sit at her spot at the island, and serve one for you and one for me. BUT the one for me was one times the amount of guests. I don't remember my parents drinking much any other time of the year, so it was fun seeing my parents getting in the "spirit". Mostly Mom, but I think Dad had a glass or two :)

If you have more information about the Tourtiere Pie tradition, let me know.

I think I might call Log Cabin Grocery and see if Helen is baking the yummy pies, OR if they are sold out as she did in the past.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Log Cabin has very good pies. Everyone should try there pies when the little lady does not want to cook.

Anonymous said...

Here at the Lizabeth House our Christmas Eve dinner is Tourtiere Pie. I think if we did not make the Tourtiere Pie it would not feel like Christmas Time to our Residents. The memories of Christmas past are told and enjoyed thoughout the dinner conversation. What a gift making these pies has given us.

Anonymous said...

I have to wonder if Jeannine gave Maxine her recipe for Tourtier Pie. God, I can smell them cooking now!!! Margaret still makes them and she sent me her recipe and I made them at Christmas this past winter. Big hit for my friends down here, especially those from Maine! Great memories!

DeeDee

Charlotte Welcher said...

A wise lover values not so much the gift of the lover as the love of the giver. ~Thomas รก Kempis Keep it up!