Sunday, November 04, 2007

Election this Tuesday

Elections are coming in a few days and I hope you take the opportunity to exercise your right to be heard and VOTE.

If you are not registered, please stop by the town office and take the plunge!
It doesn't hurt, it doesn't cost anything AND it gives you the right to bitch and complain later because you voted! You can also register at the polls.

I, as many others, hate it when people moan and groan that they don't like what is
going on, where their tax dollars are spent what laws are being passed, etc..... and they don't bother to vote.

With that said; if you are from the Dexter area, you know that the Town Council race is quite unusual with 6 candidates running for 3 seats.

While I respect many of our current council members, I and others feel that there needs to be some changes in the Town of Dexter. Running for council this time isn't as easy as it sounds. There are a few people (who I won't name), that I have admired for my whole life, and now they won't speak to me. I have to admit that hurts, but I have to remember, they don't know the "whole" story, only one side of it.

On the other hand, thank-you to all the people that have called, emailed and even written to me thanking me for taking a stand!

Reading Letters to Editor in local papers that "may or may not" be directed at a few of us running, makes 'me' wonder if I am doing the right thing?

* Am I really seeing the inconsistencies that I think I see?

* Do I believe what the employees have been telling me for almost 2 years that cause concern?

* Is money being spent where it should be spent?

* Are the Elected Officials you voted for running our town or is someone else?

I ask myself these and other questions daily, making sure I am true to myself & my beliefs, and when I can answer all those questions I come to the same conclusion; I AM doing the right thing. Especially when I see valued sick employees terminated, others resigning so they won't be terminated and others miserable going to work. Please ask any employee their thoughts and feelings about the current situation and form your own opinion.

Ask yourself, why is it that the current council (not all, but many) can't see these inconsistency's. Or maybe, they are NOT being told the whole truth! ?

We asked the public to come to council meetings after the June 2007 meeting and at that time only a handful of people attended. Now there is standing room only! We want to thank the citizens of Dexter for becoming involved. Each meeting since brings more people and at the last meeting in October there were close to 70. I hope that this trend continues in the future.

I am voting on Tuesday and I can say on my own blog that I am voting for myself, Judith W. Craig, Al Tempesta and Fred Sherburne.

But PLEASE vote on Tuesday, whether you agree with me or not.

No comments: