Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Okay.. I lied.....

Yup, I said a couple of months ago I was going to be more diligent in blogging, but alas, I lied.
After reading my daughters blog today, I am ashamed. She does a great job and it is so interesting..... As does Holly with her Taylor Made Yorkies blog.
So hear goes, I am going to attempt it again.



A lot is happening lately and for the past month, my youngest daughter Tiffany and I have be renovating our kitchen. She is staying with me during the week, but is working with her Dad during the day doing carpentry in the area. But at night we have torn my kitchen apart!!! (she goes home to Portland on the weekends to see her friends, her "Little Sister" Maria and probably take a break from me :)

It all started with, a faucet needed to be replace. Next thing I knew, the 28 year old wallpaper was off the walls and holes being cut in the walls.
All the cupboard doors & drawers were taken off (her grandfather, Cleo Craig, custom built them when we built the house 28 years ago. Tiffany then sanded them down to fresh wood and put new varnish on! WOW

Then came the creativity. I watch HGTV, DIY and all those home improvement shows religiously. SOOOOOOO, of course we had to use tile, accent tile, kewl lights and paint, etc.

We installed new track lighting with pendant lights hanging over the island and no one got shocked in the process!
I choose a Tamale Red paint for the walls... that was a big bold choice, but now I am totally please with the outcome.
Home Depot opened their arms for us on a Thursday evening! We arrived with our wish list, dimensions, and questions from the helpful crew, and proceeded to load the cart with 12 X 12 tile, accent tiles, pendant lights, under counter tube lighting, grout, sandpaper, well you get the picture....
But of course I also bought lots of stuff from our own local stores, Tillson True Value and Dexter Lumber. We are on a tight budget and did a lot of comparison shopping and local was very competitive. Mostly we got things in Bangor that were not available in Dexter (more variety).

Of course, we forgot some of the most important part of the track lighting, so Courtney and I made a mad dash to Home Depot again on Sunday to get that piece and pick up more "stuff". When we got home Tiff has a assembly line of doors and drawers in the yard, sanding and varnishing.



So now going on the 4th week of working nights and weekends on this project, we can see the end of the tunnel. There is still lots more to do, LOTS of dust to clean, and baskets and cookware to find homes for. But thats another story.

It is amazing what a couple of women can do, when you put your mind to it!! "Woman Power" Plus, it is satisfying to be doing it with my daughter! Projects like this can make or break a mother/daughter relationship and thank goodness it worked out for the best :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG, it looks AMAZING!! You did such a great job.