Sunday, May 20, 2007

Harry Hog & Birds


I have a new visitor/resident in my backyard. Harry, a cute little ground hog.
In all the years I have lived here, I don't recall a ground hog in my backyard, although my Dad down the hill has had his share. Harry seems to like being looked at. He watches me as I watch him out my office window.

Okay, so your thinking, ground hogs are not very good to have around, especially when you have gardens. True, but I can't quite picture myself getting out the shotgun and ....... So the next best thing right now is enjoy the cute little creature. When my gardens are all dug up this summer, I may have to rethink the situation.

Also new to the neighborhood this week, Red Breasted Grosbeaks. I have had lots of grosbeaks, but these are so pretty. The boys that is. The girls are the same size, brown in color, like so many of the other bird species; the ladies are dull colored and the men get all the brilliant colors. Have you ever wondered why in the human world, it is just the opposite???

Speaking of birds, my daughter Tiffany has focused her carpentry interests (evening hours) into building bird unique houses. She has been Googling bird houses, sizes, types, what birds are looking for etc.
Another good resource is www.DIYnetwork.com for birdhouse projects and gardening projects.


This bird house is her first prototype which I am keeping. Simple and straight forward with a removable bottom for cleaning after each season.

Each birdhouse has a different look and with each one built they get more elaborate. She is building them with scrap wood left over from her day job and whatever she can scare up from my various wood piles. They are very CUTE!
Stop by the Snap of the Dragon www.SnapOfTheDragon.com (see post below) where she is selling her birdhouses and other wooden products we are working on. (Limited quantities at this time :)

No comments: