Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Apple Pruning Seminar

Courtney and I went to a great demonstration a week ago Saturday (April 28th) at Olmsted Orchard on Route 15 in Charleston. (By the way, Courtney works with me designing websites, but has become part of the family).

I have old trees in my yard that I remember as a child helping my Grandfather Homer Wilbur and great Uncle Mel, graft and prune. I want to bring those old trees back, so Courtney (who is always up for learning something new) decided to head on over to the free demo put on by the University of Maine Cooperative Extension.

I thought there might be a dozen or so people there, but it turn out to be close to 40 or more.

Donna Lamb opened with Fertilize and Feed, Sprays and treatments and things like that. After about a 1/2 hour of great info, free donuts and coffee, we headed out into the orchard with Mr. Olmsted.

That man is a wealth of info. We covered what to prune, when to prune, how much to prune, what to prune with and on and on.....
The seminar last a couple hours but it was well worth it.

If you would like a copy of the email with info from the Olmsted's, just ask and I can send it along to you. Email judy@DexterMaine.com

No comments: