Thursday, October 18, 2007

Candidate's Night

A ritual of running for an office was held last night, "Candidate's Night", hosted by Abbott Memorial Library and moderated by Gerry Rudmin.

There was a good turn out in the audience, probably many more than normal, and good questions were asked by the audience after each candidate introduced and told a bit about themselves.

Topics ranged from the Union Contract, to the boat ramp, the no confidence petition, bomb scares, how much the town manager should tell the council, the Town Hall/rec department, water levels of Lake Wassookeag...

This was my introduction:

Hi, I am Judy Wilbur Craig (Judith W. Craig on the ballot) and I am running for Dexter Town Council, which I was a member of 2 years ago.

My family and I have proudly lived in Dexter on the Number 10 Road since the end of the Civil War in 1865 and most of my family has been self employed and involved in our community for as long.

I worked at WDME Radio for almost 14 years as a Sales Manager, Station Manager and talk show host. Upon leaving WDME, I created my own business, Judy Craig Consulting web design.

In my job, I work with many other self-employed people when starting their own businesses. I create and maintain business websites; including a hospital, nonprofit organizations, real estate companies and towns including Greenville & Dexter. So I feel that I have a good grasp of the current local business climate.

Currently I am President the Dexter Regional Development Corporation and Coordinator of Wild West Weekend.
I was an original member of the steering committee for the Pine Tree Zone representing Dexter.
I am also an Officer & Media Correspondent of the North Country Riding Club and Co-founder of the Green Thumb Society.

I volunteer as a Public Announcer at the NCRC Horse Shows, Garland Days - Horse Shows and 11 years at the Pittsfield Egg Festival.

I decided to run for Council again, because I am not comfortable with the way town business is currently being conducted; the treatment of sick employees, excessive use of executive sessions and closed door policies.

While I know that everyone has the right to their own opinion, those opinions should be well thought out and informed when expressing & acting on them in public. That is why I and many others are now attending meetings and asking questions, to become informed.
I feel that with my background, I can effectively serve as a Town Councilor for the residents of Dexter with an open mind and open door policy.

If elected I promise to be the voice for the citizens of Dexter and advocate for you on local issues, concerns and needs of the community.
Thank you

No comments: