Friday, December 01, 2006

New York Thanksgiving


Well I have finally visited the Big Apple!!! My oldest daughter Jennifer is now living in Brooklyn and working in Manhattan, so Tiffany, my youngest daughter and I took a road trip and the 3 of us had a New York Thanksgiving.
I had a lot of firsts while there.... The subway, crowded Food Co Ops, parking garages, haggling with street vendors, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, traffic beyond belief, and more, but it was an experience I will never forget.

Some of the things that surprised me is how helpful & nice people were!!! If we were looking at the subway maps, people would come over and ask if we needed help. We even had a lady in a car next to us at a huge intersection, put her window down and ask if we need direction. That was the topper! Another surprise, I was under the impression that subways were dirty and dangerous. You couldn't prove it by me. All the ones we were on were clean, friendly and fairly easy to navigate.

Jen took us out on Friday to "get our feet wet" and on Saturday, Tiffany and I made our way from Brooklyn to Manhattan and beyond. We walked more than I have walked in years, but it was worth it. We saw everything from Chinatown, Soho, Tribeca, Central Park (walked across from the West Side to the East), and went to the Museum of Modern Art. It was kinda late by that time, so we decided not to pay $20 for only a hour, so we will put that on the To Do list for another time. I also wanted to go to the Twin Tower memorial, but ran out of time.

I did find that things were very expensive, but you could find good deals too! I am not much of a shopper, but enjoyed window shopping and the street fare.
I also got to meet a client Emily Pearlman who I have been working with for many years, but only had know each other through email and phone calls. Her studio (EPPottery.com) is in Tribeca, which Tiffany and I found, and had a great visit and lunch. It was great to put a face to her name.

Our trip home was LONGGGGGGGG........ we got caught up on Holiday Traffic and we went about 30 miles and it took 3 hours! So our 5 1/2 hour trip down (in the night) took almost 8 plus hours to get home. Portland that is....
Overall, the trip was awesome!!!!! But it was good to get home. My pets were happy to see me too :)

I also got to see my new puppy Emma at Holly's, who lives in Arundel, 2 times. Once on the way down and once on the way back! She is so cute and sooooo little. Can't wait to bring her home in January. Guess that's another trip to Arudel. YIPEE, the country girl heading to southern Maine AGAIN!
FYI: Emma's eyes are open at 2 weeks old (yesterday)
Check out Holly's website and see more pictures of the 2 litters of puppies.

No comments: