Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Holiday Lights & Traditions

Take a moment during this busy time of the year and take a ride around Dexter and other communities as part of your holiday tradition and enjoy the holiday lights.
People take a lot of time, effort and pride to put up decorations for all of us to enjoy!
My dog Meg and I go out many evenings a week for a short "Light Ride". Too bad there isn't a little bit of snow for the lights to reflect on.
As a kid, I remember my parents taking my brother Steve and me out for the "lights ride" and back then we didn't have all the blow ups and blinkers, but it was still memorable and time spent with our parents.

Speaking of traditions, it brings to mind my mother (Mackie)carring out the tradition of making all kinds of candy; the yummy peanut butter balls, homemade fudges, cookies, etc. After the threats were done, we went and delivered to all the people who worked for my parents in the summer at Lake Shore Lunch. These special people included (but not limited to) close friends, the bus driver, postman and neighbors to deliver these special treats.

As my brother and I got older one of us had to dress up as Santa to make these deliveries. Neither of us really appreciated that tradition at the time, but now I look back on those memories as treasured ones.
Christmas morning, after we opened our stockings, we delivered hot homemade walnut breakfast sticky buns to all our neighbors, which came fresh from the oven! First we delivered by car with my Dad driving, and then later, as Steve and I got older, we went by snowmobile and once I even did by horseback.

These are just a few of the traditions I remember growing up! Please share yours……
Merry Christmas

No comments: