Sunday, May 18, 2008

New Babies


I wanted to update you on my little Emma...

I took Emma a week ago to Holly's (my friend and breeding co-owner who lives in Arundal) to deliver the pups. We thought she needed to be there for a few days before the deliver to adjust (without me).

Holly called on Thursday night just after 9 pm and said "if you are coming to see the delivery, you better come now"

I called Courtney to come and get Meg (my black lab), threw my overnight bag in the truck, and off I headed on my 2 3/4 hour trip to Arundal.

I was almost there when Holly's husband called me on the cell and said, meet Holly at the vet's! Thank goodness I knew the general vicinity of Dr. Hutchinson, as I had been with Holly a few times when Emma was born.

I walked in at 12 :05 am or so and baby #1 had just been born, but #2 wasn't budging. Emma was soooo excited to see me, that she almost "pooped" the baby #2 out right, then and there.
#3 baby was going to take awhile, so Dr. Doug gave Emma various shots, we wrapped her up in a big blanket, the 2 babies in another and they placed 'em in my arms and off we went to Holly's house (which fortunately is only less than 10 minutes away. I kept thinking, omg, is she going to deliver right in the car???? But I tried to stay calm.. ya right!

When we got back to Taylor Made Yorkies (Holly's) Emma was put in the whelping box with a heat pad for the babies and we waited.... at 1:30am or so, puppy girl #3 started and it was scary. She too didn't want to come out, like girl #1, but when she did, she didn't want to breath regular. Holly, who has delivered LOTS of yorkie pups, knew just what to do! We rubbed, rubbed and rubbed some more on #3, then tossed her around and fed her a special bottle and all of a sudden #3 came around. Now she is one piggiest of the 3 girls :)

Delivering healthy little dogs is more work than you expect!

Emma is doing well as a new mother despite the fact that she is a bit spoiled. After the birth and we tried to go to bed a 3:30 am, Miss Emma was heard to be screaming for me and waking all the other dogs and humans. Finally, I went down and stayed with her to settle her in until almost 5:30 am. Friday night she slept much better.

I took this picture of Emma and her 3 girls later on, but on delivery day....

They are still doing very well, although Emma needs a bath desperately, she wont be getting that until the end of the week. She needs and wants to be with her babies other than to go out for a minute to do her 'business".

It was eventful to watch my little girls birthing process. Kinda scary too!

They all will be coming home to Dexter in a week or so until the new parents pick up the babies. We talk about that at a later date.
Judy

No comments: